When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives means the most us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving much advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a gentle and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares.

Henri Nouwen

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Is This Thing On?

Actually, it doesn't really matter if it's on or not. I just need to vent a crisis moment, and it's the kind that, if I vent it to my husband, there will be panic in the streets.

Ladies, I hate my job.

I feel like I can't take one more day of cooking or dishes or laundry or making menus or arranging schedules or grocery shopping or encouraging children to do anything other than sit like lumps in front of the TV.

No joke. I'm actually sitting here in my filthy kitchen thinking "I can't take this anymore. I hate all of it."

Have any of you ever been there, and how did you survive it? Because I think that's all I can do - wait for the moment to pass. Getting a day job will only add "Day Job" to the above list. Bleah.

It's cool if you haven't been there. Like I said, just needed to vent.

Thanks for the forum, Ami!

6 comments:

shahna said...

Oh man! I not only have been there. I tend to re-visit every other month or so. It is totally normal to get homemaker burnout but adding more to your plate is not the answer. Usually when I am feeling that way I realize I need a little more "me" time. i take a mental health day and fell alot better. Also, I usually realize after the fact that maybe my expectations are a little too high orthat I need to simplify (take some stuff off my plate). Seriously! Get a sitter and go our for some mommy time. Go see a chick flick. While you are at it. Leave a to-do list for the boys.

Amber Hooten said...

I have been having those days more and more. I am new to staying at home. I have been going to school part or full time since my first daughter was born almost 4 years ago. I graduated this past December and we decided that it was best that I stay home. It is very hard for me because I am not used to it. I see a million things that I could do each day, but do I want to do them? No, not really. In fact I usually save everything until about an hour before the husband walks in the door. Including dinner. I feel really lazy and totally am contemplating going to work which like Shahna said it is adding one more thing to my plate. Because I will still have to do everything around the house as well as working outside of it. Not sure if this helped, but at least you know that you are not alone!

Sarah said...

i feel like i've been stuck there for months-- starting work in another month is only going to make things worse-- not looking forward to it, but can't avoid it. ahh, the joys of motherhood. i hate to complain, because its the only thing i want to do :D i take it for granted way to much

Ami said...

amy, i totally feel your pain. on those days, i find myself going on monster.com just to glimpse what could be...only to realize how much more that would add. since i started school, my housework has taken a backseat (big time) and now i'm in a constant state of need-to-do-more. some days, i literally want to get in the car and keep on driving. no more dishes, no more laundry, no more book reports and breaking up fights.

AnoelleB said...

Thanks so much, ladies! It helps to know I'm not alone. I miss you guys a ton. Love you!

Kendra said...

Ugh. I too suffer from homemaker burnout. Today...kids bathroom toilet is disgusting and their sink and mirror are coated in toothpaste. And you know what, I'm not gonna do anything about it. maybe tomorrow. Don't tell my husband! Usually a night out helps A LOT. Truthfully though I need a month out on the town, or maybe Hawaii.